Skate Squats/lunges are another one of my favorites. It's a balancing exercise (which is essensial as we age)so it uses all our stability muscles to perform the exercise. As a result, the entire leg is toned and sculped.
Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes (Butt)
- Stand on right leg, foot pointed forward, weight on heel, abs pulled in and good posture…left leg is bent behind you
- Lower yourself down by bending your right knee and sticking your butt out behind you until your upper thigh is almost parallel to the ground (make sure your knee isn’t extending pass your toe)
- Simultaneously slide the left foot out behind your body toward the right side like a speed skater…you can let the toe touch the floor for balance but work your way up not letting it touch
- Push through your heel and raise yourself up to the start position
- Try not to let the other foot touch the ground through the whole movement
- Repeat for desired number of reps and then switch legs
Important: Never let your knees extend past your toes. Keep a straight back . Don’t lean forward and don’t let heals lose contact with the ground.
Leave Skate Squats for Real Moms Real Fit home page